Position: Special Assistant to Executive Director
Status: Full Time
Location: Anywhere in the U.S. convenient to regular travel (proximate to Washington, DC desired)
Deadline: Open until filled
As re:power enters the next phase, it seeks a professional Special Assistant to support the Executive Director (ED) and other Executive Team leaders. The Special Assistant will serve as the “first line of defense” for the Executive Team, accelerating their productivity by helping them manage their time, commitments and deliverables. This role will also be responsive, anticipating the needs of the ED and proactively solving potential hiccups before they turn into real issues. Finally, this person will approach their work with a collaborative spirit, engaging with the staff, the Board of Directors, and other key stakeholders across the organization. The Special Assistant will have a deep personal and professional connection with re:power’s core values.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Maintains the Executive Director’s daily, weekly, monthly and yearly calendars
- Schedules appointments, including those with large groups across several time zones
- Analyzes the ED’s schedule on a regular basis to ensure a sustainable pace of meetings and calls, quiet work time, and breaks
- Meets with the ED on a weekly basis and more frequently when needed to review commitments, requests, deliverables, appointments, and travel
- Provides scheduling support for other Executive Team members and organizationally, as needed
- Coordinates travel arrangements, including flights, accommodations, ground and public transportation, and meeting schedules for the ED and, from time to time, Board Members, staff, and other key partners
- Accompany ED on travel/to meetings as directed
- Completes and files credit card expense reports, invoice requests, and other accounting-related paperwork for the ED
- Assists with preparation and editing of the ED’s documents and correspondences, as needed
- Coordinates ED speaking engagements and media interviews
- Provides logistics and administrative support for recurring meetings
- Partners with others to support logistics for various events/programs
- Handles all logistics for quarterly board meetings and annual in-person board retreat including, but not limited to,collaborating with the Executive Team to set agenda and prepare documentation
- Supports Executive Team’s engagement with the Board to maintain and improve governance and compliance systems/processes
- Accurately records minutes from Board meetings and notes from other key meetings
- Manages Board recommendations and requests
- Provides support to the Board of Directors’ committees
- Works proactively and in good faith to support and strengthen the overall stability and effectiveness of re:power
- Supports the execution of other organizational-wide projects as requested or required
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- Bachelor’s Degree; or relevant experience supporting Executive Leadership with 5+ years experience;
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong administrative, planning, and organizational skills including the ability to strategically handle competing priorities and deadlines in a fast-paced and changing environment;
- Impeccable attention to detail and project management skills;
- Capable of working independently with strong self-initiative;
- Impeccable discretion and confidentiality;
- Experience with technology and ability to keep current with the latest technologies;
- A strong work ethic with a calm and relaxed demeanor, even in times of stress;
- Grounds work in racial equity: analyzes and addresses the structural impacts of policies, practices, and decisions on different racial groups, and works to eliminate inequities
- Ability to establish rapport with multiple contributors, bringing a sense of inquiry and curiosity;
- Adept at keeping all stakeholders apprised of relevant information, status of deliverables, and progress towards goals; and
- Willingness to work non-standard hours, including weekends and travel when required.
- Experience working for a non-profit, ideally in progressive movement.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for this position is highly competitive, with a salary range of $60k–$65k annually. re:power offers a comprehensive benefits package with excellent/health/life/disability insurance:
- 90% employer-paid health and dental insurance premiums for staff and their families
- 100% employer-paid life and disability insurance
- Exceptionally generous and flexible paid time off
- 401k retirement benefits with a 4% employer match
- FSA enrollment
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- 12 weeks of paid sabbatical leave
and much more.
Application Deadline and Instructions
This position is open until filled, and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please email your letter of interest and resume in a single pdf document to email@example.com by September 30, 2020. Please be sure to specify the Special Assistant role in the subject line.
re:power is an equal opportunity employer. We’re also an organization that’s guided mostly by people of color, women and gender nonconforming folks, immigrants, and working-class people. We eagerly invite people of color, Native American and Indigenous people, immigrants, women, genderqueer and nonbinary people, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and others to apply for all open positions at re:power.
re:power offers a lively and highly rewarding professional environment. This position can be located anywhere in the United States convenient to regular travel.