Executive Director Search
re:power (formally known as Wellstone Action) is looking for a new Executive Director. We seek a bold, principled and visionary leader with the ability to align people and build power to advance progressive social change and achieve economic, racial, and gender justice.
Letter From Board Chair
As a member of the Board of Directors of re:power (formerly known as Wellstone Action) for the last 15 years, I’ve watched this organization go from a small group of campaigners committed to building local progressive power, to a national organization with a bold mission of inclusive politics.
Our training and guidance have supported countless leaders and organizations in building progressive governing power that reflects the values of justice, inclusivity, fairness, opportunity, dignity and respect of all people. I’m proud of this organization that has trained tens of thousands of people across the country and developed a strong and vibrant base of donors, allies, and partners.
As we embark on the search for a new leader in this exciting chapter in our organization’s history, we’re also grateful for the leadership of our current Interim Executive Director, Sara Beth Mueller, and our Executive Team, Adriana Barboza and Deepa Kunapuli. Their work, in close collaboration with the governing board, has shepherded our donors and insured re:power’s strong financial position. Indeed, re:power’s entire staff team deserves high praise for moving forward the strategies that are the heart and soul of our mission and reputation as an organization.
The next Executive Director of re:power will be called on to shape a bold future for our organization. Our next leader will be a dynamic individual ready to spark new thinking and innovation, to galvanize our stakeholders, and to propel our organization forward, achieving even greater impact. To guide re:power’s leadership search and transition process, we are fortunate to have retained the services of Elsa Ríos from Strategies for Social Change® LLC. Now, we are inviting you to help us find our next extraordinary leader by circulating the job announcement throughout progressive communities across the country.
Thank you in advance for supporting re:power during this important moment in our organization’s history. Together we will advance the platform of inclusive and just politics in our country.
Board Chair, re:power
Sixteen years ago, we opened our doors as Wellstone Action and set on a course to help communities elect diverse, progressive leaders committed to social change. Since then, we’ve traveled all over the country, training tens of thousands of organizers in grassroots organizing, movement technology, and leadership development with the goal of advancing progress and justice in communities.
In our next stage as re:power, an organization committed to reclaiming our leadership for radical change, we’re excited about working in our framework of inclusive politics — we’re offering a vision where the needs, perspectives and leadership of people of color, especially women of color, can be fully represented in our government, social institutions, and power structures. Our work is tied to the belief that by partnering with and investing in individuals, organizations, and coalitions across the country through training and strategic planning, we can uncover leaders within communities to create radical change.
The Executive Director will report to re:power’s active 12 member Board of Directors. Presently, re:power has an annual budget of more than $4 million dollars, and a talented and dedicated staff of 17 people, with room to hire several more. The Executive Director will lead a dynamic organization with a solid financial outlook and a bold vision for building transformative political power.
Executive Director Job Qualifications
The ideal Executive Director candidate will be an authentic, inclusive, and inspiring leader who has worked in communities of color on social justice issues. While no candidate will embody every skill set or quality, the successful candidate will demonstrate many of the following qualifications and attributes:
- A track record of senior leadership and management of diverse teams in a mission-driven organization.
- A demonstrated commitment to economic, racial, and gender justice.
- Political acumen and a sophisticated intersectional analysis.
- Excellent strategic thinking in a political and movement context.
- Big, visionary ideas and ideals and the capacity to convert them into solid strategies and action.
- An adaptive leadership style with the ability to problem-solve, navigate complex situations and relationships, and take advantage of strategic opportunities.
- Fundraising ability, experience, and enthusiasm, including a track record of raising significant funds from a variety of sources and a network of contacts with foundation funders and individual donor prospects.
- Experience with remote culture, teams, and management
- Skills in talent management, team building, mentoring and developing staff leadership.
- A high level of emotional intelligence and capacity for self-reflection and self-improvement.
- Compelling and persuasive public speaking abilities, presence and media savvy.
- Outstanding written and oral communication, including effective communication among wide audiences and diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to travel nationally extensively in order to represent re:power.
- Willingness to make a multi-year commitment to re:power.
- Experience managing both 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 organizations
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in political movement work; organizing and/or electoral and civic engagement experience preferred.
- Significant experience with financial and budget management and strategy that is grounded in standard financial practices.
- Experience managing organizational growth and change.
- Experience hiring, managing, and developing a diverse staff; experience with remote management is highly desirable.
- Experience building and sustaining strong relationships with existing and prospective board members, funders, individual donors, and other stakeholders.
- Experience building effective partnerships and coalitions among organizations and activists, from the grassroots to national levels.
- A reputation as a principled strategic collaborator with keen listening skills and the ability to bridge philosophies and perspectives.
Geographic Location: Flexible. We are headquartered in Minnesota with staff currently located in Minneapolis, Chicago, D.C, and Virginia. Residence in Minnesota is not required, however, the Executive Director will be required to visit the headquarters regularly.
Salary: $175,000-$185,000 depending on experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We prioritize the leadership of people of color and LGBTQ individuals, and we strongly encourage people of all traditionally marginalized identities to apply. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
Strategies for Social Change® LLC, a woman of color-owned capacity building and leadership coaching practice dedicated to working with social justice organizations, is conducting the leadership transition process and executive search.
Nominations, inquiries and application materials should be submitted in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should be submitted electronically as a single PDF.
Please include a résumé, three references and a cover letter that addresses:
- 1) Why you are interested in working with re:power;
- 2) What you believe you would bring to the position of Executive Director;
- 3) How your past accomplishments are relevant to this position.
Résumés will be reviewed on a rolling basis and eligible candidates will be contacted to arrange interviews. We expect to receive résumés from many qualified applicants and therefore highly recommend submitting as soon as possible and no later than February 28th, 2019 at 5 pm ET.
Please submit your complete application package in a single PDF and send to email@example.com.