What we love about this work is the opportunity to train leaders across different social movements. In August, the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) partnered with us to train 25 staff members from the National Political Department in developing a national volunteer activists program, slated to launch in 2024.
The AFT is gearing up to mobilize and organize its members, everyday individuals, and students, ensuring the safeguarding of public education across school board, state, and federal elections in the next five years.
The training introduced state and national staff to a relational organizing approach that can complement their electoral mobilizing strategies and tactics for the 2024 campaign cycle. There was a primary focus throughout the training on how electoral organizing connects to year-round organizing and movement building.
The curriculum included:
- Developing a Transformative and Winning Field Plan
- Campaign Strategy Development
- Base Building and Direct Voter Contact
- Building a Volunteer Program and Ladder of Engagement
- Internal Team Management/Building Healthy Campaign Culture
- Campaign Messaging & Communications
- Introduction to Digital Organizing and Finding Our People Online