The Data x Power (DxP) Movement Tech Fellowship is a 10-month program for mid-career data practitioners to solve movement-wide technology problems as they hone their skills.
For several years, key organizations across the progressive movement have been experimenting with, frustrated by, and cementing a deeper understanding of data and technology to support their work. Although many non-profit organizations range in size and scope, we share common problems in tech infrastructure and implementation, as well as navigating privacy, security, and data ethics.
The Ford Foundation is partnering with re:power Fund to create a space to build collective strategy and innovation through a 10-month fellowship for movement-centered data experts.
Each year, twelve fellows are selected, from within and outside the Data x Power network, to work in pairs on a project that will address network-wide data and technology issues. They undergo a series of skill-based trainings, receive a mentor, and have access to funding that enables exploration, experimentation and completion of the project. By pouring resources into individuals, we hope this fellowship serves as an incubation space for collective learning and solutions that can serve the larger movement.
2023 Fellowship Application
Who is this fellowship for?
- Movement Data Practitioners + Technologists: This fellowship program is targeted towards folks who are mid-career technologists, with experience working within or adjacent to the progressive movement. They should have organizing insight—an idea of what’s taking place on the ground to influence their ideas on how to change it.
- Open to New Things: Participants should be excited about challenging themselves to learn new ways of doing the work and partnering with others to come up with creative solutions.
- Leadership-Minded: Ideal candidates are looking to develop their leadership skills not only in their current areas of work, but in the movement as a whole. They are ready to share their ideas & findings with the larger progressive data community.
- Dedicated to Inclusive Politics and Intersectional Solutions: We center race, class, gender and sexuality across our approach to systemic change—it’s part of our practice of inclusive politics. We want organizers to be open to new ideas regarding it and to the ideas and contributions from their fellow organizers who will reflect our diverse communities.
(Time commitment of ~5hrs/week)
- Working in pairs, fellows will develop a tightly-scoped project to address the broader priorities & problems found across the progressive movement relating to data, tech infrastructure, privacy, surveillance, and/or ethics. Funding will be provided to ensure completion of the project and support fellows from ideation to completion.
- Three Data x Power Network Convenings (two in person, one virtual) will take place over the course of the 10-month program. These are spaces to discuss the larger movement quandaries, build relationships among network members, and share findings and solutions.
- Biweekly, fellows will undergo a total of 12 Core Skill Development sessions to equip them with the technical acuity to undergo their small group projects. They will also have ongoing Coaching & Mentorship from longstanding practitioners within the technology sphere to guide them through the project and any necessary professional development.
- In the latter half of the program, there will be Monthly Learning Labs to share project updates, struggles, and findings. These will coincide with holistic Community Building & Wellness Spaces to encourage collective care.
- Upon completion of the final project, fellows will receive a stipend of $7,500 in total to financially support their time-commitment to this program; this will be disbursed in quarterly installments.
- Applications Open: January 25, 2023
- Applications Close: March 20, 2023
- Shortlist Selection: March 24, 2023
- Interviews: April 2023
- Fellows Selected: April 28, 2023
- Fellowship Kickoff (in-person): May 2023
- Core Skill Trainings: May – November 2023
- Mid-way Convening: September 2023
- Final Convening: February 2024
2022 Cohort Project Showcase
In 2022, twelve DxP Movement Tech fellows worked in pairs on projects that address data and technology issues seen across the progressive data ecosystem. We are proud to showcase their six final projects, which address issues related to surveillance, data ethics, pipeline innovations, and more. Click on a project to learn more!